Clifton Funeral Home originally began in 1915 as the undertaking department of the Clifton Mercantile Company. In 1948, the enterprise became known as Clifton Funeral Home when it established a location at 303 S. Avenue F in the former home of Dr. G. W. Collins.
In 1962, J. B. Darden, Jr. , who had been a part-owner and funeral director for a number of years, acquired complete ownership of the firm. He would continue for more than 50 years providing caring and dedicated service to the families of Clifton and Bosque County until his passing on August 26, 2014.
With the close of 2014, Clifton Funeral Home has become a part of Marshall & Marshall Funeral Directors of Hillsboro and Whitney. Marshall & Marshall originated in Hillsboro in 1923 and added the location in Whitney in 1967. From these two locations, the firm has provided a tradition of service to residents of Hill and Bosque Counties, as well as all Central Texas, for over 92 years.
C.E. Holloway joined Louis Marshall in January of 1949, and became part-owner and managing director in the following years. Along with his wife, Lillie, the couple acquired the remainder of the Marshall interest in the firm in 1985. They were joined in 1990 by their daughters and sons-in-law, Jan and James Shaw and Jackie and Pat Dumas. Still family owned, C.E. and Lillie have retired after well over 50 years of service, turning over guidance of the firm to their children.
With our acquisition of Clifton Funeral Home, we were pleased that Freddie Odom has chosen to continue in his role as managing director. His long relationship, both with the funeral home and the many families he has served over many years will continue to provide an important asset to the funeral home and this community.